Most of us consume this drink.
According to a new study in the European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine, drinking a lot of it causes ED in men.
The researchers recruited 100 men from a hospital in Bhavnagar who consumed large amounts of alcohol every week.
The researchers gave the men questionnaires to assess their alcohol consumption, details of their sexual function, and their quality of life.
These were their findings.
1. 70% of men who consume a lot of alcohol have some form of sexual dysfunction.
2. 84% experienced dysfunction in sexual desire and/or frequency.
3. 82% reported premature ejaculation.
4. 80% complained of problems experiencing sexual pleasure.
5. 68% struggled with erection difficulties.
6. 64% reported a decrease in libido.
In general, the relationship between heavy alcohol consumption and sexual function is extremely toxic since they can reinforce each other.
Sexual dysfunction can lead to stress, which can increase the consumption of alcohol to numb the stress.
Conversely, alcohol worsens sexual dysfunction, including ED.
1. Alcohol is a depressant that affects the central nervous system and can interfere with the transmission of signals between the brain and the penis, leading to difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection.
2. Alcohol disrupts the levels of hormones, particularly testosterone, that play critical roles in sexual arousal and performance.
3. Alcohol damages the nerves and blood vessels in the penis, reducing blood flow to the area and making it harder to achieve and maintain an erection.
Therefore, if you suffer from ED, you should consider mostly or completely giving up alcohol, even if you consume it in moderation.